Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS)
VTS Facilitation Method 101
In VTS discussions, teachers support student growth by facilitating discussions of carefully selected visual texts.
Teachers are asked to use three open-ended questions:
- What’s going on in this picture?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What more can we find?
Three Facilitation Techniques:
- Paraphrase comments neutrally
- Point at the area being discussed
- Linking and framing student comments
Students are asked to:
- Look carefully at carefully selected visual texts
- Talk about what they observe
- Back up their ideas with evidence
- Listen to and consider the views of others
- Discuss many possible interpretations
VTS with 12th Graders, California