- Field Placements
- Assignment Due 13 September : WordPress ePortfolios
- Assignment Due 14 September: BlogPost Video Games (Just an initial post)
- ePortfolio Assessment Checklist
- Readings for Tuesday 18 September:
- Kohn, A. (2011) Poor Teaching for Poor Children … in the Name of Reform. Education Week.
- Richard, G. (2017). Video Games, Gender, Diversity, and Learning as Cultural Practice. Educational Technology, 57(2), 36-43.
Newsworthy: Open Letter to Ohio Department of Education concerning computer-graded exams | Shaker Heights English teachers.
Reading: Gee, J.P. (2007) Good video games, the human mind, and good learning. pp. 22-44.
Q & A:
- Introduction to the Gee reading | a few concepts
Simulations Affordances Distributed Intelligence & Off-loading
- Forcing our students to learn vs. Dumbing down the learning
Drill & Practice
Viewing: James Paul Gee on Learning with Video Games
In class small groups:
- In class small groups: Video Games and Learning Principles
- Explore some of these games:
- Phet Balance Simulation We did start to mess around with Phet Balancing simulation.
- The My Sust House games
- Play Player 2 here
- Drill & Practice (These are not video games; they are lesson reviews)