TPACK design |1. Introduction | 2. Misconceptions & Difficulties | 3. Digital Resources |4. Instruction | 5. TPACK Context | Assessment Rubric
5. TPACK in the Context of Your Tele Design (5x)
In this section you are being asked to demonstrate your understanding of technology integration. To accomplish this:
- Design your TELE with numerous strategies and ideas we’ve explored this semester;
- Discuss your specific uses of technology and their intended role in realizing the learning objectives of your lesson.
Discuss how your Tele is influenced by Lee Shulman’s (1986) descriptions of Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) and how Mishra and Koehler (2006) build on Shulman’s PCK in their explorations of TPACK.
“…the most regularly taught topics in one’s subject area, the most useful forms of representation of those ideas, the most powerful analogies, illustrations, examples, explanations, and demonstrations—in a word, the ways of representing and formulating the subject that make it comprehensible to others” (p. 9).
With discussion of appropriate course readings, I invite you to discuss the following aspects of your specific TELE:
- Technological knowledge, including:
- The specific technologies;
- The affordances of these technologies (What can be accomplished with the technology;
- Affordances as Relative (level of technological knowledge skill and understanding)
- Teacher (You)
- Design with Learning activity types
- Design with Distributed Cognition or the effects of classroom technologies on the learning experiences of students and the teacher’s pedagogy:
- Cognitive amplification (effects with, of, and through);
- Technological pedagogical functions:
- Off-loading, and
- Understanding of the representation of concepts using technology;
- How translation relates to technological pedagogical content knowledge.
A Few Resources
- Brief TPACK video
- P –> What is Pedagogy? Pedagogical Knowledge (1026-27)
- PCK –> What is Pedagogical Content Knowledge (including knowledge of misconceptions and difficulties).
- TPACK –> What is Technological, Pedagogical Content Knowledge?(1029)
- Distributed Cognition: EFFECTS OF, EFFECTS WITH & Common Educational Technologies Used in Schools
- Pedagogical Functions of Educational Technologies : Connecting | Translating | Off-Loading | Monitoring
- Interaction Strategies — A Few Google Slides
- The Learning Activity Types Website
Resource: (Mediating Artefact) “Out in the Field” | Technology Integration Observation Instrument