(Calendar for ED586 meets on Mondays)
Go to Week:
One / Two / Three / Four / Five / Six / Seven / Eight / Nine / Ten / Eleven / Twelve / Thirteen / Fourteen / Fifteen
Week One | Introductions, ePortfolios & Video Games
Wednesday | 18 January
Introductions: You and me & Blog Post 1
Workshop: WordPress I
Noteworthy: Course Readings: Available online through the library’s electronic reserves.
Friday 20 January: Assignment Due: BlogPost 1
Week Two | Video Games
Wednesday | 25 January
Reading: Gee, J.P. (2007) Good video games, the human mind, and good learning. pp. 22-44.
Friday 27 January Assignment Due: WordPress ePortfolio & BlogPost 2
Week Three | Video Gaming & Mobile Learning
Wednesday | 1 February
Noteworthy | Exploration Introductions: Mobile Learning (What do you know? What do you want to know? What can you find right now? Let’s have a look around…)
- Authored by Project Tomorrow and Blackboard (2013) Learning in the 21st century: Mobile Devices + Social Media = Personalized Learning.
- Linked below, check out Edutopia’s collection of articles on using video games and simulations in the classroom as well as the article from KQED. Select one article to integrate into your video gaming exploration and share with the class.
Go to Top
Week Four | Mobile Learning
Wednesday | 8 February
Reading: Martin, F., Pastore, R., & Snider, J. (2012). Developing Mobile Based Instruction. Techtrends: Linking Research & Practice To Improve Learning, 56(5), 46-51.
Go to Top
Friday 10 February Assignment Due: Video Game Exploration
Week Five | Mobile Learning, Multimodal Literacy & Digital Storytelling
Wednesday |15 February
- Dalton, B. (2013). Multimodal Composition and the Common Core State Standards. Reading Teacher, 66(4), 333-339.
- Ohler, J. (2013) Chapter 14: Media Grammar for Teachers. Digital Storytelling in the Classroom. Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin. pp. 226-244.
Friday 17 February Assignment Due: Mobile Learning including BlogPost3
Week Six | Multimodal Literacy & Digital Storytelling
Wednesday | 22 February
- Arola, K., Sheppard, J., Ball, C. (2014) Chapter 2: Analyzing Multimodal Projects. In: Writer/Designer : A Guide to Making Multimodal Projects. New York : Bedford/St. Martin’s. pp. 20-39.
- Associated with the Arola, Sheppard, & Ball reading, please work through the online tutorial, ix visualizing composition.
- Selected Readings on digital storytelling in the content areas
Monday 27 February Assignment Due: BlogPost 4
Week Seven | Place Based Education & Digital Storytelling
Wednesday | 1 March
- Demarest, A. (2015) Chapter 3: Personal Connections are the foundation of all learning. Place-based Curriculum Design. New York : Routledge.
- Lambert, J. (2012) Chapter 5: Seven Steps of Digital Storytelling, Digital Storytelling: Capturing Lives, Creating Community. (4th Edition). Routledge : New York, NY. pp. 53-69.
Friday 3 March | Assignment Due: Blog Post 5: Reflections about your students
Spring Break 3-12 March No Class
Monday 13 March | Assignment Due: Blog Post 5: Reflections about your students
Week Eight | Digital Storytelling & Workshop
Wednesday | 15 March
Reading: Lambert, J. (2012) Chapter 7: Approaches to the Scripting Process & Chapter 8: Storyboarding, Digital Storytelling: Capturing Lives, Creating Community. (4th Edition). Routledge : New York, NY. pp. 88-101.
Resource: WeVideo Academy — video editing tutorials
Week Nine | Digital Storytelling Workshop, Scripts, Storyboards & Assessment
Wednesday | 22 March
Reading: Ohler, J. (2013) Chapter 4: Assessing Digital Stories. Digital Storytelling in the Classroom. Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin. pp. 83-91.
Assignment Due: (for class): Blog Post 6: Story Circle One – Script & Storyboard
Week Ten | Digital Storytelling Workshop & Assessment
Wednesday | 29 March
Reading: –> please review last section on Audio: Ohler, J. (2013) Chapter 14: Media Grammar for Teachers. Digital Storytelling in the Classroom. pp. 226-244.
Assignment Due: (in class): Blog Post 7: Digital Storytelling Assessment Rubric
Week Eleven | Digital Storytelling & Distributed Cognition
Wednesday | 5 April
Reading: Salomon, G. & Perkins, D. (2005) Do Technologies Make Us Smarter? Intellectual Amplification With, Of and Through Technology
Assignment Due: Digital Storytelling Exploration
Easter Break Wednesday | 12 April (No class, Friday classes meet)
Week Thirteen | Distributed Cognition
Wednesday | 19 April
Reading: Martin, L. (2012). Connection, Translation, Off-Loading, and Monitoring: A Framework for Characterizing the Pedagogical Functions of Educational Technologies. Technology, Knowledge & Learning, 17(3), 87-107. (part 1: pp.87-96, end of section 2).
Friday 21 April Assignment Due: Blog Post 8: Field Observations A+B
Week Fourteen | TPACK Design
Wednesday | 26 April
Reading: Mishra, P. & Koehler, J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A Framework for Teacher Knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054. (Please prepare pp. 1017-1031).
Friday 28 April: Assignment Due: Distributed Cognition Exploration
Week Fifteen | TPACK Design
Wednesday | 3 May
- Harris, J., Hofer, M. Schmidt, D., Blanchard, M, Young, C., Grandgenett, N. and Van Olphen, M. (2010) “Grounded” Technology Integration: Instructional Planning Using Curriculum-Based Activity Type Taxonomies. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education. 18(4), 573-605.
- The Learning Activity Types Web Site
Final Exam Schedule
Final Exam: Wednesday | 10 May | 6:00-7:50
Assignment Due in class: TPACK Design (Spring 2017: Print copy of your TELE/TPACK design required)