- Assignment Due Friday 13 April: Blog Posts 8 & 9: Field Observations (Formally BP 8 A+B)
- Readings for 18 April:
- Harris, J., Hofer, M. Schmidt, D., Blanchard, M, Young, C., Grandgenett, N. and Van Olphen, M. (2010) “Grounded” Technology Integration: Instructional Planning Using Curriculum-Based Activity Type Taxonomies. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education. 18(4), 573-605.
- Mishra, P. & Koehler, J. (2006). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A Framework for Teacher Knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054. (Please prepare pp. 1017-1031).
Martin, L. (2012). Connection, Translation, Off-Loading, and Monitoring: A Framework for Characterizing the Pedagogical Functions of Educational Technologies. Technology, Knowledge & Learning, 17(3), 87-107. (part 1: pp.87-96, end of section 2).
Salomon, G. & Perkins, D. (2005) Do Technologies Make Us Smarter? Intellectual Amplification With, Of and Through Technology
- Distributed Cognition, EFFECTS OF, EFFECTS WITH & Common Educational Technologies Used in Schools
- Climate Bathtub Simulation | Climate Momentum Simulation
- The geo-literacy project: students use technology to explore their world while you watch, note all the technologies that are being used by students, teachers and other adults.
- Martin, L. (2012). Connection, Translation, Off-Loading, and Monitoring: A Framework for Characterizing the Pedagogical Functions of Educational Technologies. Technology, Knowledge & Learning, 17(3), 87-107. (part 1: pp.87-96, end of section 2).
- Pedagogical Functions of Educational Technologies : Connecting | Translating | Off-Loading | Monitoring
Discussion: DC Cases to Analyze
A. Blended Learning Energizes High School Math Students: Educator Peter McIntosh helps his students to take ownership of their learning by using interactive subject-mastery tools like Khan Academy. High (9-12)
B. Differentiating Instruction Through Interactive Games: Using tech tools and games acquired through grants and his own resourcefulness, second-grade teacher Robert Pronovost tailors math instruction to match students’ individual learning styles. (multi-age)
C. Exploring Emigration: Maps & Migration : Using maps and technology to explore geography /Grades 6-8, Social Studies
D. Poetry WorkStations : Students analyze poetry with PodCasts and WebLogs / Middle School 4-8 Language Arts
E. Enhancing Chemistry Basics with Technology : Grades 9-12 / Science / Peer Teaching
F. Potential Energy: Problem Solving with Technology : Grades 9-12 / Science / Physics
G. Google Docs in the Classroom : Grades 9-12 / All Subjects / Collaboration
H. The Learning Landscape: Kids Monitor Terrain with Technology : Grades 3-7 / Environmental Science